Let me run a scenario for you: you’re just done with printing some important work documents, or you just got your family photos done for the year. You set them on the table and leave the room for barely two minutes.
As soon as you get back, it is havoc. There are fingerprints all over the photos. The quality is already damaged. There are even smudges of food all over it. And let’s not forget about the folded edges.
You look around for the culprit, and seating innocently is your child! You don’t know whether to laugh or cry. All you know is you can’t let it happen again. There has to be a solution!
Well, it may just be your lucky day because I have a solution for you: Lamination.
What Is A Laminator For Foiling And Why You Need One
Lamination is the best way to protect art, pictures, even just paper from stains, dust, smudges, and fingerprints.
The paper is encased in a thin layer of plastic which protects it. You may have already heard of regular laminating but let me open your eyes to something even better; foil laminating.
What is foil lamination? What is the absolute best type of lamination for foiling? Those are some of the questions that probably led you here, and that’s just great. Foil laminating is where thin foils are used to strengthen lamination.
This would probably be a one-time purchase, so you need to get it right the first time. We are ready to give you that guidance. At the end of this, you will be able to identify the best laminator for foiling. Follow this link to find out everything you need to know about foiling.
Top 7 best laminators for foiling
Akiles is a manufacturer of laminating machines. The ProLam series they produced can be said to be their most popular brand, not just in town but worldwide.
This product has a particular set of features that make it the best quality there is:
- Silicon heat rollers help in a uniform supply of heat.
- Two heated rollers and two cold rollers
- A dual heat system made of rollers and plate- to make it versatile.
- Gradual temperature control (176oF-320oF)- to allow for a broad lamination scope.
- Temperature control allows you to increase/decrease the heat depending on the project.
Furthermore, they implemented this product with the pouch laminator: this makes it easier to use, even for first-timers. You can insert the paper into a plastic pouch and insert it between the rollers.
All products have their pros and cons; analyze the list below:
- Dual heat system-hot and cold-to work on a variety of projects.
- Temperature control.
- Rollers produce uniform heat-bubble prevention.
- Any standard pouch can be used.
- 13-inch-wide opening.
- Heat plates aren’t as effective as gold foil presses.
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly product, this may just be the one for you. Best for school, home, and beginners use, it utilizes one-step lamination.
Although it may not do as much as you expect it to, its packaging and sleek black exterior make up for it. It takes about 7 minutes to heat up but can further work on your sheets in bulk.
It is also very easy to use; just put the sheet into the pouch, feed it into the opening, and the rollers do the rest.
Find below a list of pros and cons:
- It takes 7 minutes to heat up.
- Can laminate up to sheets of 5mm.
- Can jam up sheets if it’s not fed in properly.
Since it is multi-purpose, Xyron is one of the leaders in the local US market. This product works as a gold foil applicator, a hot press, and a cold press. Being three in one, it is the best laminator for crafts.
The Xyron Glaminator foil laminator’s opening is enough for any project you may have in mind. You can even use different colored foil to add some creativity to your art creations.
- Uses reactive foiling for better embellishments.
- Has slider buttons-makes it easier to transition between modes (foil application, hot press, and cold press)
- Includes free gold foil that is added to the package.
- Easy to use.
- The lamination function in the Xyron Glaminator foil laminator doesn’t work as well as traditional laminators.
4. Scotch TL906
The easiest to use is the Scotch TL906. Mitigating the problem of jamming of sheets between the rollers, Scotch TL906 makes that something not to worry about.
Its user capabilities are extremely simple: switch on the machine, wait for it to warm up, put in your sheets, and wait. It’s basically plug-and-play.
- Has an anti-jam technology that prevents sheet jam and lagging.
- Light signals after it warms up
- Easy to control.
- 9-10inch long opening area.
The Royal Desktop Laminator is best if you have an average budget. It has both good performance and a sleek design.
Printing up to 9 inches per minute, the royal sovereign laminator for foiling excels in efficiency. This laminator uses a two-roller mechanism, making for a smooth result. These rollers ensure that there is no wrinkling or bubbling of the sheets.
- Advanced cooling system-ensures the laminator does not heat up.
- Fast warm-up time-3 minutes.
- Has a jam release lever-makes it easy to clean up.
- Jam release features may not be the best-clogging may still occur.
Toyuugo laminator uses both cold and hot laminating systems. Cold mode is best used to laminate old pictures and documents, while hot mode for other things. It has been carefully designed to laminate all various types of pouches.
- Two roller designs.
- ABS button for the case the pouch wraps.
- Ideal for laminating A4, A5, A6 sizes of paper.
- 280 mm of the papers per minute.
- 3 minutes for warming.
- Short laminating time.,Not only used for papers.
- Fast and smooth laminating.
- Low noise.
- Overheats with an increased workload.
If you want to combine more features to simplify, AmazonBasics would be a good fit for you. The AmazonBasics foil laminator has several qualities that may just catch your eye:
- High-quality lamination.
- Compact design- to save space.
- Simple guides- easy to use.
- Short warm up time-4 minutes.
- Supports letters, business cards, legal, and photo size items.
- Two different heat settings.
This product includes a lever for releasing jams to facilitate you to keep operating.
- Separate heat settings for 3mm and 5mm pouches.
- Laminates documents up to 9-inches wide.
- Ready to go in 4 minutes.
- Jam release lever.
- Ready light indicator tells you when it is warmed up.
- Easy clean-up process.
- Have to read instructions before using the machine.
- One can’t laminate documents that are greater than 5mm.
- The sheets that can fold inside the laminator are not inserted well.
Benefits of using a laminator for foiling
Below are a few benefits of using a laminator for foiling:
- Using a laminating machine protects and enhances the material of what is being laminated. This is done by adding a layer of plastic that protects the laminated material.
- The laminating machine adds extra value to the sheets.
- The laminator increases the longevity of the sheets.
- The laminator gives the printed sheets a distinctive look- this is due to the pop and glossy effect that lamination causes.
Although foil lamination may seem like an easy process, it is not. You need to ensure you get a suitable machine for you.
The seven foil laminators we have discussed are some of the best you can find in the market.
Understandably, making the right choice for you may not be easy, but we hope that this guide has helped you choose the laminator ideal for your needs.
Is there any laminator that has stuck out for you from the ones mentioned above? Do you know any laminators that could be added to this list? Share these ideas in the comment section below.
1. How do I choose a laminator for foiling?
Other than these highlights, other factors such as temperature settings, safety, and speed are other factors. Etc.
- Temperature setting– If you can control the temperature, what is the range? Ensure you opt for those upwards of 300oF.
- Safety- Make sure the machine is built with safety covers to prevent injuries.
- Speed- Pick a machine with a range of 300mm/min to 600mm/min.
2. Can you use a normal laminator for foiling?
Yes, you can.
Depending on the type of laminator you intend to use, some have thermal technology, which uses heat to seal the foil and documents together,. In contrast, while others have cold laminating capabilities meaning the film and documents are pressed together.
3. What is the best foiling machine?
The best foiling machine depends on personal needs. You need to find what machine works best for you.
4. Does Minc foil work with a laminator?
Yes. It is a heat laminator style of the foiling system.