Do you dream big about your quilting job? The best longarm quilting machine is the ideal choice to take your quilting game a notch higher.
While it is possible, it is also very challenging to achieve a long bed-size quilt using a regular sewing machine. This will require not only your patience but also much strength to finish the entire quilt as needed.
Conversely, a longarm quilting machine will offer advanced controls, a powerful motor, and ample throat space to ensure your quilting is a breeze. As much as satisfying your clients is crucial, you should know that a longarm quilting machine is an expensive investment.
Therefore, it would be best to make a wise choice that will meet your needs. Lucky for you, we’ve rounded up the top 7 longarm quilting machines in 2021 from a vast and filled upmarket. Read on.
What Is The Best Longarm Quilting Machine To Buy?
Either as an expert or a beginner, the best longarm quilting machine to buy should have specific features. This way, you rest assured of high-quality results in your task within the shortest time possible.
Moreover, whether you are working on small or large jobs, your ideal longarm quilting machine brands should have the following;
- Large frame
- Ample lighting
- Stitch regulation
- Auto thread cutting
- Precise quilting feet
- Different size bobbins
How Much Does A Longarm Quilting Machine Cost?
Even though it is primarily an expensive machine to buy, the long arm quilting machine prices depend on your needs and preference for different features.
Typically, longarm quilting machines cost from $4000-$15000. However, worry not as this is no reason to start developing headaches.
In the vast market with many brands, you cannot miss an affordable and suitable choice for you, including the used long arm quilting machines for sale. Better still, there are advanced sewing machines that feature longarm quilting ability.
Besides, you are sure of significant profits due to the top-rated results you are offering your clients, including custom quilts for interested parties.
7 Best Longarm Quilting Machines
- Remarkably, this Juki longarm quilting machine features a vast area with adequate elbow room to allow you to sew all your quilt fabric. Better yet, it also has advanced technology of a touch screen interface. This way, you will be able to change any functions easily and quickly within reach.
- Because snags constitute a significant issue, this brilliant machine ensures you experience none of that. Thanks to the intelligent feed design, it comprises a dual feed function that offers precision from the start to the end.
- Furthermore, its powerful motor delivers 1050 stitches per minute, four fonts, and 351 stitch patterns. This way, you have no excuse to be creative in any way you like with your quilt designs, even on thick denim.
- There’s enough light in the work area for working even in the free motion sewing anytime, making accurate adjustments and designs.
- Easy threading
- Advanced digital display
- Wide working area
- Powerful motor
- Versatile on different fabrics
- Easy to use
- Lit working surface
- The automatic thread cutter cuts the thread too loose.
Nothing beats the great feeling of working with a machine that understands your needs. Thanks to this Juki TL2200QVP, you will get unique features that ensure great productivity. Read on.
- First, it comes with bright LED lights and a large working area. The workspace allows you to place even large fabrics without the worry of pulling and pushing them on the surface to work efficiently. Well, the LED lights are there to make sure you do not miss a spot.
- Also, it has a colored digital display that allows you to change any settings to your preference easily by just touching the buttons. Besides, the colored display is also attractive and easy to read for exceptional finishing.
- Moreover, it comes in a compact and lightweight design. This makes it easy to carry and also store.
- The four modes of stitching available will help you create amazing and unique quilts to increase your profits.
- In addition, the presser foot feature enables you to maintain the fabric steadily even when operating at a high speed of 2200 stitches per minute.
- There are also automatic scissors that will cut your thread accurately to achieve a professional and unique product.
- Easy to use
- High speed
- Large workspace
- Versatile modes
- Automatic thread trimmer
- Ergonomic design
- Minimal assembly instructions
If you want to work while standing, this is it! Similar to Juki, it has differently unique features as below;
- It comes with a full-size long arm frame that can hold all the weight and load of your fabric. The frame is not just sturdy but also stable enough.
- As a computerized longarm quilting machine, the OLED screen makes it highly efficient and easy to use. This screen is bright and displays all the settings for the convenience of your sewing project.
- Also, the control panel allows you to be creative by mixing more than one, editing, and even changing the thread colors for your preference. Remarkably, the menu system is user-friendly, allowing you to work faster and better.
- The inbuilt stitch regulation handles all the stitch issues independently without your interference. This way, the stitches are consistent even when you change speed levels and also provide four modes.
- Moreover, the ergonomic design puts all the functions within easy reach and use at a single glance and touch. Also, the adjustments and handles are well located for quick use.
- Comfortable grip
- Ergonomic design
- Stable and sturdy frame
- Easy to use
- Independent inbuilt stitch regulator
- Frequently skips stitches
- Just like its name, this Grace Q’nique longarm quilting machine delivers a throat space of 21″. Better still, the precision speed is at 1800 stitches per minute which handles even larger loads of quilting.
- Also, it has grip handles that are comfortable and provide easy access to main functions. In total, there are six quick access buttons on both handlebars. Besides, you can use the handles in a micro position by rotating them down to better control fine stitching.
- There’s also a full-colored OLED screen that displays all the functions and settings for easy navigation.
- Remarkably, the bobbin winder is automatic, fast, and stops when complete. This way, you have no stress in winding the bobbins manually every time.
- Large throat space
- Powerful motor
- Comfortable grip
- Easy navigation
- Precision stitching
- No proper lighting
- This machine allows you not to hold down your imagination and creativity by making large patterns and blocks of quilts. Impressively, its powerful motor delivers 1800 stitches per minute for quality results.
- A working space of 15″ allows you a hassle-free experience even in handling large and bulky quilts. Apart from being large, it is also steady to hold the loads.
- Also, it features four stitching modes to handle the requirements of your creativity. Better yet, the handlebars are comfortable and sturdy to allow you control when working, not to mention they have quick access buttons.
- Moreover, a 2.5″ OLED screen offers easy access to all settings like stitch modes, speed, length, and needle position.
- Also, the motorized bobbin winder allows you to wind your bobbin fast even without running the machine.
- There are also wheels found beneath for easy transportation.
- Effortless bobbin winding
- Wide and steady
- Easy to use
- Assembly is a must
- This Handi longarm quilter from Amara offers a throat space of 20″ and works at 2500 stitches per minute. This means that it can sew from 4-24 stitches in a single inch.
- Amara comes with a complete package of 2 modes of stitch regulation, three preset speeds, and five options of basting stitches in stitches. Better yet, it has five options of different tie-off stitches.
- Remarkably, it has a servo motor that assures precise quality stitches from the start to the end.
- Also, you will find a 7″ colored touchscreen right under your thumb. This provides easy access and control for all the settings you would prefer. You can still control other functions using the buttons on the comfortable handlebars.
- The pinpoint needle laser is also a unique and fantastic feature. This feature ensures you keep a close eye as the needle makes every stitch.
- Comfortable handlebars with control buttons
- Easy to use touch screen
- Stitch regulation
- Fast and consistent
- Wide working space
- Small touchscreen
- This impressive quilting machine creates 2200 stitches per minute on an adequate working space of 18 inches.
- Also, it consists of both back and front handles that allow flexible movement and effortless operation from whatever angle you want on the machine.
- When it comes to controlling, with just the touch of a button, you can easily control this quilting machine from the 7″ touchscreen. Still, the handlebars allow manual operations like rotating, auto size, repeat patterns, and moving the needle up and down.
- Fast and steady stitching
- Handles on all sides
- Easy to use
- Sizable working space
- It can be challenging for beginners
What Is A Longarm Quilting Machine and Why Do You Need One?
This machine works efficiently and concurrently in sewing three layers of a quilt. These quilts include a top quilt, the top cloth, and a backing quilt, which is the bottom cloth all finished into a patterned or non-patterned quilt.
A longarm quilting machine is necessary because;
- It is easier to control than sewing machines with features like digital displays and handlebars with buttons.
- They offer ample working space, which enables you to craft and load different products quickly.
- Also, they are versatile and easy to control on functions and features as you prefer.
- Still, there’s illumination on the working area, which is an excellent feature for accurate, high-quality results.
- The automatic needle positioner enables this machine to handle even heavy projects.
- They also comprise a steady and sturdy frame than using an ordinary table.
The Different Types of Longarm Quilting Machines
Generally, there are two types of longarm quilting machines depending on the type of operation; electrical and manual/hand-cranked machines. However, nearly all high-quality quilting machines are electrically operated.
Manual: This model uses your effort and strength in making it work. Usually, the quilters move the fabric manually to sew the specific quilt design. However, the design has an improved version where it uses a hand-crank where it operates without electricity.
Electric-powered: They can be either hand-guided where they use handlebars or computer-guided models. The computer-guided models use a program to move the sewing head on the fabric to design the quilt you prefer.
How Do You Choose A Longarm Quilting Machine?
Throat space: This is the distance between the back and the needle, determining if it’s a longarm or mid-arm. Usually, longarm quilting machines have a throat space of between 15″-26″. An average of 18″ is preferable for most quilters though those with a lot of work should get a bigger space.
Stitches per minute: An ideal longarm ensures a fast job completion, hence checking on the speed offered in stitches per minute. Both the motor power and speed will determine how the machine will create the stitches per minute. Again, if you have a more significant workload, speed is crucial, hence looking for a higher stitch rate per minute.
Stitch regulation: As a significant feature, stitch regulation is what will give you the best quilts. Even though a machine has a manual mode, ensure the stitch regulation works in cruise and precision modes.
Navigation and control: Typically, comfortable handlebars and a good-sized touchscreen will make your control a breeze. Both of these functions will help you access navigation and control easily, even in moving heavy quilts.
Format: There are two formats of longarm quilting machines-sit-down and standing. Therefore, you should choose the one that suits you. While choosing, ensure you are comfortable in choice, especially when working on lots of quilts.
If you want a longarm quilting machine but are not sure of your decision, worry not. The above review provides the best longarm quilting machines present in the market with different price tags and features for your preference. Go ahead and make a choice in confidence and bring it home to start creating unique quilts!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is a Longarm quilting business profitable?
A: Mostly, you can earn quilts with a longarm quilting machine for an average of $125. But, you can make more by creating custom quilts for those clients that want since your machine is capable.
Q: What is the best quilting machine?
A: The Juki TL2200QVP-S Sit-Down is the best quilting machine due to its speed, sit-down feature, and ample working space.
Q: Which are the affordable long arm quilting machines?
A: From our review, affordable options are like Juki Kirei HZL-NX7, Q’nique 21 Long Arm Quilting Machine with Optional Quilting Frame, and Q’nique Long Arm Quilting Machine (15R, 15PRO, or 15M).